[EpiData-list] Problem with underscore character in variable name

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Sun Oct 19 02:26:07 CDT 2008

According to the documentation, an underscore character is allowed in
variable names.  And, indeed, I have no problem defining new variable names
with an underscore and using them in analysis (v2.1.0.151).  However, when
the data have been saved and one opens the file for further analysis, the
variable has been renamed v1 (or v2, etc).  In addition, the original
variable name containing the underscore is put into the variable label.
For example, I created a variable abc_test.  After saving the data and
opening the file, I find that the variable now has the name v1 and the label
"abc_test  abc-test".

Annemieke van Middelkoop
Pretoria, South Africa