[EpiData-list] Problem with underscore character in variable name

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Sun Oct 19 07:59:43 CDT 2008

While an underscore in variable names is a convention in many
applications, it is a bit dangerous in EpiData .rec files because it is
possible to create a .qes from a .rec.
That .qes will have an underscore that will be interpreted as a new
string field of length one. This is the case even now, since the
underscore will appear in the 'first word' position on a line.

I suggest reserving underscore for temporary variables that will not be
saved.

Jamie