[EpiData-list] Re: Problem with underscore character in variable name

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Sun Oct 19 14:45:45 CDT 2008

"According to the documentation, an underscore character is allowed in
variable names. And, indeed, I have no problem defining new variable
names with an underscore and using them in analysis (v2.1.0.151). ....
However, when the data have been saved and one opens the file for
further analysis, the variable has been renamed v1 (or v2, etc). "

Actually this is a bug in analysis. Will be corrected.

Explicitly _ is NOT allowed. Where in the documentation is _ allowed.
This is a misrepresentation.

The reason is :  _ is the representation of a string variable in the qes
file, but apparently we made an error in the analysis allowing for this
on generate. (e.g. gen i abc_d = 1  or define abc_d # )

regards