[EpiData-list] Double entry and unique field

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Wed Oct 22 06:46:57 CDT 2008

Dear EpiData friends,

Im in project about adverse events of a particular kind of patients using
some medications. The data entry has a rationale of every adverse event of a
single patient has a different questionnaire.

This means that a unique number of the patient could be typed in the dataset
more than once. So far ... OK

But we are plannig a double entry... and than the unique identifier of the
patient may couse problmes and errors!

So I was thinking about creating a sequence for each adverse event, and than
a patient 19230 would have a event A, B,C .... and so on

A unique variable could be automaticly created by patientnumber+uniqueevent
wich could give something like 19230A, 19230B, 19230C and so on!

But this does not seem to me an elegante work around!

Does any one else have other suggestions?

--
Abraço forte e que a força esteja com você,
Pedro Emmanuel