[EpiData-list] Dealing with 'Ongoing' duration in epicurves

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Tue Dec 2 06:31:02 CST 2008

As Hans pointed out you need to distinguish missing status from ongoing
illness. I suggest introducing another field that will indicate status
as ill/recovered/unknown.

To report duration of illness, replace the missing date for everyone
whose status is "ill" with the current date, provided you are doing this
on a regular basis. This yields the best (MLE) estimate of mean duration
of illness.

Jamie