[EpiData-list] Definition of copyrights for EpiData software and documentation

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Thu Jan 22 08:53:04 CST 2009

One of the topics for decision on the pathway to open-source of the
software is declaration of copy-rights.

Formally the copy-right of current products lies with the EpiData
Association in combination with the authors of documents etc, which in
principle is defined as the sum of persons involved (users, developers,
initiators, contributors), but in practice a core group of more
influential persons. See the credit pages of the website.

There are an abundance of various software open-source/freeware/,.....
formulations of copyrights and license principles. Basically as I see it
there are three considerations
a. By releasing the software one does not take responsibility for errors,
timeloss or other losses by using the software (protection against claims
from users).
b. Someone else should not take the documentation and or software and use
for their own purpose without proper referring to those who created the
various parts.
c. How can we protect the development for future use without restrictions
imposed by patents, licensing or similar. And how can we make sure to keep
it from being "taken over" under changed conditions.

I am not asking for a lengthy discussion of this on this list, but should
anyone have viewpoints on the topic let us know.

Currently I am favouring the use of this one:
"Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported
Licence"
which can be seen at:
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/
as well in English as many other languages. The "Unported" means not
translated.

Kind regards