[EpiData-list] Consistency in number of digits

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Mon May 18 08:28:12 CDT 2009

Dear All,

I apologise if this question is simple but I really can't figure it out.

In creating my chk file, I need to ensure that four of the variables
contain a certain number of digits. I know this is normally
controlled by number fields the .qes file. However, in this instance
I need zeros to be included at the beginning (eg. 0003) so that all
be putting these 4 variables together to create a 10 digit identifier
later in the chk file.

At the moment, whenever I enter 0003, the zeros are removed and I am
left with just 3.

Does anyone know if there is a way to ensure the zeros remain, and to
ensure that each variable entered contains 4 digits?

Many thanks in advance for your advice!

Nicki

Nicki Bailey
Centre Administrator
Leonard Cheshire Disability and Inclusive Development Centre
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health
University College London
4 Taviton Street, London, WC1H 0BT, UK
Tel: +44 (0) 207 679 5589
Fax: +44 (0) 207 388 2291