[EpiData-list] Consistency in number of digits

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Mon May 18 12:15:53 CDT 2009

In most programming languages this (keeping leading zeros with a fixed
format, say, four digits) is done with a print statement using a format
string. For example, in Euphoria (   http://www.rapideuphoria.com/  ),

*Syntax:* 	printf(fn, st, x)
If x is a sequence, then format specifiers from st are matched with
corresponding elements of x. If x is an atom, then normally st will
contain just one format specifier and it will be applied to x, however
if st contains multiple format specifiers, each one will be applied to
the same value x. Thus printf() always takes exactly 3 arguments. Only
the length of the last argument, containing the values to be printed,
will vary. The basic format specifiers are:

%d - print an atom as a decimal integer
%x - print an atom as a hexadecimal integer. Negative numbers are
printed in two's complement, so -1 will print as FFFFFFFF
%o - print an atom as an octal integer
%s - print a sequence as a string of characters, or print an atom as a
single character
%e - print an atom as a floating-point number with exponential notation
%f - print an atom as a floating-point number with a decimal point but
no exponent
%g - print an atom as a floating-point number using whichever format
seems appropriate, given the magnitude of the number
%% - print the '%' character itself

Field widths can be added to the basic formats, e.g. %5d, %8.2f, %10.4s.
The number before the decimal point is the minimum field width to be
used. The number after the decimal point is the precision to be used.

If the field width is negative, e.g. %-5d then the value will be
left-justified within the field. Normally it will be right-justified. If
the field width starts with a leading 0, e.g. %08d then leading zeros
will be supplied to fill up the field. If the field width starts with a
'+' e.g. %+7d then a plus sign will be printed for positive values.

But we don't have this in Epidata. So, unless you use a string field
(text), you'll lose those leading zeros. My preference is to just
generate (or use) a given unique ID and put the other data (region,
area, etc.) in separate fields.

Pete Geddes