[EpiData-list] creating an identifiant from various variables + double data entry

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Tue May 26 10:11:04 CDT 2009

Q: 1) Does this mean that when using the 'Double Entry Verification'
option (immediate comparison), this will not work if you have added any
new variables into the .rec, or changed the order of the variables from
the existing .rec?
Q 2) With "compare two files" is it possible to compare the old and new
.rec files, even if a new variable has been added, or the order of the
variables has been changed?

Since I am not sure of the answer the best way to get rid of such a
worry is to make a small test.

1 Just create a rec file of say 5 fields and enter 5 records - let us
name it A. Add checks and a unique entry field.
2 Then copy structure (tools menu) of the file to a new file B
3 Use with file b the "rec to qes" file option on file B and create b.qes
4 Open b.qes and change the order of some variables (let the ID variable
be at the top) and add a few more.
5. Open file b for entry and the entry module will ask "update
structure". Say yes and you now have a new field sequence and number.
6. enter a few records more in file b and see what happens with the
"validate  dublicate files". You know there is a changed structure and
more fields in file b, but also that the contents of the first five
records is the same as file a (for fields in a and b).

7. Do simililarly as indicated above, that is "prepare double entry "
for the "immediate option" to say a_db.
8. Create from a_dbl the file a_dbl.qes  (as point 3 above).
9. change in the qes file the order of the fields (except id).
10. enter data in file a_dbl and see if it works.

Finally: Let us know on the list how your test went.

Morale: never trust any software unless you have tried and challenged
the software yourself. (I do that for all types of software - regardless
of status: commercial, shareware, freeware ....)

regards
With the t

But in any case my worry would mean