[EpiData-list] Is it possible to link the follow-up to the baseline using EpiData?

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Sat Jun 27 18:50:11 CDT 2009

Dear all,

I have a question about linking the follow-up round of a survey to the
baseline which was data entered using EpiData. The follow-up is a new
database that will be linked to the baseline during analysis. During data
entry, I want to make sure that the IDs entered in the follow-up match those
from the baseline in the household roster of the survey. No member that was
in the household in the baseline should be missing, however new members can
be added to the household.  I have villageid, householdid, and personid,
each of which is entered separately. I can then create a unique id which
combines these to ID the unique individual.

The baseline data was entered using double data entry where the data was
compared dynamically (Menu Option: "Double Entry verification") and the
follow-up will be done in the same manner. The survey is large and the data
are entered on several different computers that are not networked.

The only way I can think of to link the follow-up to the baseline in order
to compare the IDs would be to do a mini double data entry after the first
data entry of the household roster where I check only the IDs for the data
and see what is in the follow-up that isn't in the baseline, but this seems
like a poor solution. I would prefer to do something dynamic, which 1)
doesn't allow the data entry clerk to move on to another household until
they have entered all of the IDs from the baseline and 2) flashes a warning
if there is an ID entered that does not match with the baseline. I don't
think that EpiData has these capabilities.  Please let me know if I am
simply not educated enough in this software.

Thank you for your help (and I apologize for this long posting).
Emilie