[EpiData-list] Is it possible to link the follow-up to the baseline using EpiData?

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Mon Jun 29 07:17:09 CDT 2009

You seem to have good control of data entry. I think the safest way is
to use Analysis to check for records that do not match.

However, I wonder if you could populate your follow up file with JUST
the fields used to create the ID field and the ID field, leaving all
other fields blank. Everyone doing data entry would have this file.

Then use AUTOSEARCH to find the matching record. If no match is found,
data entry proceeds as for a new individual. This would be especially
useful if the forms used indicated when an individual was new, so that
the person doing data entry would know when to expect no match.

I have never done double entry with AUTOSEARCH.

You will have only a bit of work to do to eliminate all of the duplicate
records. This should be easy because all of the other fields will be
missing. (MERGE might still work as long as you keep the non-blank fields).

Jamie