[EpiData-list] preventing duplicate entries

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Mon Nov 23 14:43:07 CST 2009

I like it! I had thought along those lines but did not know how to
concatenate strings.

I received your PS too; thanks.

One other question:  I just became involved in this existing project.
The data date back to 2003, and had been recorded in Excel spreadsheets,
a separate Excel file for each site, and within each file a separate
worksheet for each month, with several years' worth of that month on
that sheet.  Now everything is in Epidata. Unfortunately, the existing
data have many duplicate site-date records. What do you think will be
the effect of implementing your suggestion, given this circumstance?

I have the analysis set up to run in R, and I think I can make R ignore
duplicate site-date combinations. So the existing duplicates would
remain in the database but have no effect on analysis. If need be, could
I implement your suggestion only prospectively, for new entries?

Thanks.

--Chris
Christopher W. Ryan, MD
425 Robinson Street, Binghamton, NY  13901
cryanatbinghamtondotedu

"If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood,
divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the
vast and endless sea."  [Antoine de St. Exupery]