[EpiData-list] preventing duplicate entries - ps

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Mon Dec 7 09:20:46 CST 2009

So this has worked, mostly, with one remaining problem.

To recap, I created a new field, I called it CONTROL, consisting of site
concatenated with date, as a string, and then made that field key unique
and no entry.  With the key unique inactivated temporarily, (and with
the enter key taped down!) I was able to populate CONTROL for all 12,100
records. And prospective entry of new records works--the CONTROL field
is populated.

But when I reactivate, in the chk file, the key unique requirement for
CONTROL, I can't open the .rec file for entering new data. I get an
error message that CONTROL is duplicated between two records (roughly
records 2700 and 2701, or thereabouts.) And the file won't load any
further. I can see how this is happening; those are probably the first
two duplicate records in the file. I'm not surprised, but it does
present a problem.

Now this is even more interesting: if I write down the two records cited
in the error message about duplicate values on CONTROL, then inactivate
the key unique requiremnt, then open the file successfully, then mark
one of the DEL (deleted), save the file, exit EpiData, then reactivate
the key unique requirement, then try to reopen the file for data entry,
I get the exact same error message: those same two records are cited as
duplicated on CONTROL, even though one of them is now marked DEL.

Puzzled.

--Chris
Christopher W. Ryan, MD
425 Robinson Street, Binghamton, NY  13904
cryanatbinghamtondotedu

"If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood,
divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the
vast and endless sea."  [Antoine de St. Exupery]