[EpiData-list] New EpiData Manager ready for (next) test

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Fri Jan 22 12:11:47 CST 2010

My immediate reaction:
- <F2> <Shift-F2> etc are really great and will make the form creation
go much more quickly than using the mouse
- I like the tagging in the editor and visual indicator showing where a
field starts and ends
- editor does not mind that a file is open in Manager (good!), but each
should recognize when a file has been changed by the other

- do Labels need to be treated the same as Fields in recxml? All they
really need is location (colour, font eventually?)
- paste from Qes identifies labels well, but does not place a label
following a field on the same screen line as the field
e.g.   v10 temperature ##.#  C
will place the 'C' on the line following v10
- it is hard to place labels on the same line as a field using the mouse
- need 'snap' for labels as well (and have them obey font changes)
- vertical align might support the snap settings also

- placement of screen elements will be a challenge and this is a great
start!
I wonder if recxml format should allow for the following:
* within <name>, the ability to show the name or not (seems to be 'show'
now)
* 5 elements for each field:
    name
    label that precedes the entry field
    entry field
    label that follows the entry field
    extended explanation of the field (accessed by the help key)
* with each of the first 4 elements to be placed horizontally, using
<align>, relative to the screen border (for name) or entry field (for
name and labels)

No crashes or unexpected behaviour on my PC. My MacBook is coming next
week and I look forward to trying it out.

Jamie Hockin