[EpiData-list] Linking Epidata to an online database

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Fri Mar 26 03:25:08 CDT 2010

Regarding linking to an external database.

I had a connection to a hospital database in which all the operations were stored every day.
This database produced its output in EXCELformat. After downloading this EXELfile each
month, I opent it in EXCEL and standardised the collums with a macro in EXCEL.

Then this standardised EXCELsheet was saved as   DBF IV  file. This DBF file subsequently
was imported into EPIDATA, giving a nice RECfile each month exactly the same format.

Then the RECfile was converted with a QESfile (added some new fields for my use)in
EPIDATA.

After scrutinising my new RECfile for double entries ,which were removed manually ,this
could be merged with the already existing main RECfile.
The whole procedure was steered by a  batchfile and worked safely.

Maybe this can be of help for you.It is a kind of indirect link.
Greets,
Louk Meertens