[EpiData-list] Double Entry for Related Files

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Tue Apr 27 12:13:58 CDT 2010

Hi Sam:

There are two approaches to double-enter: 1) independently, 2) the
second file depending on the first.  You seemingly chose the latter
("prepare for double-entry").  If you choose that option, you must enter
the records in the same sequence (I believe) and the value of each field
in the second record will be compared to the corresponding one in the
first and a discordance reported, so you can verify.  Thus, no need to
enter twice.

Alternatively, you enter your related file pairs independently between
first and second entry.  You must have a unique identifier in both the
parent and the child file.  The sequence then doesn't matter of course.
After you have entered parent1-child1 and parent2-child1, you validate
parent1-vs-parent2 on the unique identifier, then child1-vs-child2 on
that identifier.

Hans

--
Hans L Rieder, MD, MPH