[EpiData-list] new test release of EpiData Manager available (paste text as fields and read qes)

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Thu Jul 1 14:34:27 CDT 2010

  I am quite sure everyone can understand the amount of work involved in
the current rewriting and the need to focus and set the scope for
development at a realistic level.

One of the aspects that I currently consider not needed is the
development of an editor.
Power users will each have their own preference for an editor and for
the EpiData Manager we can optimise usage of the clipboard instead of
developing a new editor.

Another issue is the need for documentation tools. My current
understanding is that we do need:
- double entry verification (comparing two files and showing differences)
- count by id function (show a list of how many times a given id is
contained in a number of files)
- data verification according to controls built into a given data file.
      e.g. whether all mustenter, range and value label definitions are met
- verification of keys (unique) and listing of observations not meeting
the defined key

And I also think these should be part of the Manager, whereas other
functions such as:
   codebook, listing and viewing data
should be part of analysis.

Comments on these aspects and the announced development phase sequence
are welcomed on this list.

>  The next development phases are: a. Prevent double naming of fields
>  on a dataform b. Develop first test release of a dedicated Entry
>  Client. c.  Add timed backup and date named zip file copy to Entry
>  Client function. d. Add control of entry (mustenter, range, value
>  labels) to Entry Client. e. Add multilanguage capability to dataform
>  definition and entry client.

regards