[EpiData-list] Re:chinese version of epidata

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Sun Jul 25 06:30:41 CDT 2010


Dear all,

Actually, I am just starting to learn what UTF-8 is. But I did test
epidata manager with a myanmar font which is widely used on the web.
When I typed in Myanmar in epidata manager, many squares showed up and
I understood nothing.

Zaw Myo Tun, MB, BS
The Union's office in Myanmar
Myanmar

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 11:36 PM,
<epidata-list-request at lists.umanitoba.ca> wrote:
> Send EpiData-list mailing list submissions to
>        epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>        http://lists.umanitoba.ca/mailman/listinfo/epidata-list
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>        epidata-list-request at lists.umanitoba.ca
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>        epidata-list-owner at lists.umanitoba.ca
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of EpiData-list digest..."
>
>
> EpiData-list mailing list
> ___________________________________
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>   1. Re: chinese version of epidata (epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca)
>   2. RE: chinese version of epidata (epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 21:27:23 +0200
> From: epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
> Subject: Re: [EpiData-list] chinese version of epidata
> To: epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
> Message-ID: <4C474A1B.9060405 at tbrieder.org>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
>
> Dear David:
>
> You must install Chinese language on your Windows machine (easy to pick
> from the Windows languages list).  With that, your PC can display
> Chinese characters (this has nothing to do with EpiData, but with Windows).
>
> Once that is done, the following is possible with the current EpiData
> Entry version:
>
> Field labels can be in Chinese
> Value labels can be in Chinese
>
> Field names cannot be in Chinese (I believe)
> Values in text fields cannot be in Chinese
>
> The EpiData Association development team is working on a version of
> EpiData software that is going to use UTF-8, so everything will be
> possible in any language.
>
> Jens, if I am mistaken, please correct.
>
> Hans
>
>
> On 20:59, epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I need to help colleagues with a data entry system for a questionnaire in chinese. I have downloaded the chinese version of epidata but it does not display chinese characters (lots of squiggles and things instead). Does anyone know what I need to do to be able to display chinese characters properly? This is with windows vista.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> David
>> --
>>
>> David Whiting, PhD | Epidemiologist and Public Health Specialist
>> tel +32-2-6437945 | mob +32-496-266436 | David.Whiting at idf.org
>>
>> International Diabetes Federation
>> 166 Chaussée de la Hulpe, B-1170 Brussels, Belgium
>> tel +32-2-5385511 | fax +32-2-5385114
>> info at idf.org | www.idf.org | VAT BE 0433.674.528
>>
>> IDF | Promoting diabetes care, prevention and a cure worldwide
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
> --
> Hans L Rieder, MD, MPH
> Jetzikofenstr 12
> 3038 Kirchlindach
>   Switzerland
>
> Tel: +41 31 829 4577
> Mob: +41 79 321 9122
> Web: http://www.tbrieder.org
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 09:12:06 +0200
> From: epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
> Subject: RE: [EpiData-list] chinese version of epidata
> To: "epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca"
>        <epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca>
> Message-ID: <397652837FFE5C41914C636F749FF4CE02CE8F45E9 at Server04-P2K8>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252"
>
> Thanks Hans. This is very helpful. I don't use windows and am helping out a colleague remotely, so this has been a bit of an exploration for me.
> "Values in text fields cannot be in Chinese" effectively means that even though the questions can be in Chinese the answers can only be written in English. I think that most of the questions in this survey use numbers or lists so for most of it I think we will be okay.
>
> Thanks again for the help.
>
> David
> --
>
>
> David Whiting, PhD | Epidemiologist and Public Health Specialist
> tel +32-2-6437945 | mob +32-496-266436 | David.Whiting at idf.org
>
> International Diabetes Federation
> 166 Chaussée de la Hulpe, B-1170 Brussels, Belgium
> tel +32-2-5385511 | fax +32-2-5385114
> info at idf.org | www.idf.org | VAT BE 0433.674.528
>
> IDF | Promoting diabetes care, prevention and a cure worldwide
>
> ________________________________________
> From: epidata-list-bounces at lists.umanitoba.ca [epidata-list-bounces at lists.umanitoba.ca] On Behalf Of epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca [epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca]
> Sent: 21 July 2010 21:27
> To: epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
> Subject: Re: [EpiData-list] chinese version of epidata
>
> Dear David:
>
> You must install Chinese language on your Windows machine (easy to pick
> from the Windows languages list).  With that, your PC can display
> Chinese characters (this has nothing to do with EpiData, but with Windows).
>
> Once that is done, the following is possible with the current EpiData
> Entry version:
>
> Field labels can be in Chinese
> Value labels can be in Chinese
>
> Field names cannot be in Chinese (I believe)
> Values in text fields cannot be in Chinese
>
> The EpiData Association development team is working on a version of
> EpiData software that is going to use UTF-8, so everything will be
> possible in any language.
>
> Jens, if I am mistaken, please correct.
>
> Hans
>
>
> On 20:59, epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I need to help colleagues with a data entry system for a questionnaire in chinese. I have downloaded the chinese version of epidata but it does not display chinese characters (lots of squiggles and things instead). Does anyone know what I need to do to be able to display chinese characters properly? This is with windows vista.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> David
>> --
>>
>> David Whiting, PhD | Epidemiologist and Public Health Specialist
>> tel +32-2-6437945 | mob +32-496-266436 | David.Whiting at idf.org
>>
>> International Diabetes Federation
>> 166 Chaussée de la Hulpe, B-1170 Brussels, Belgium
>> tel +32-2-5385511 | fax +32-2-5385114
>> info at idf.org | www.idf.org | VAT BE 0433.674.528
>>
>> IDF | Promoting diabetes care, prevention and a cure worldwide
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
> --
> Hans L Rieder, MD, MPH
> Jetzikofenstr 12
> 3038 Kirchlindach
>   Switzerland
>
> Tel: +41 31 829 4577
> Mob: +41 79 321 9122
> Web: http://www.tbrieder.org
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> EpiData-list mailing list
> EpiData-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
> http://lists.umanitoba.ca/mailman/listinfo/epidata-list
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> ________________________________________
> EpiData-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
> http://lists.umanitoba.ca/mailman/listinfo/epidata-list
>
>
> End of EpiData-list Digest, Vol 81, Issue 12
> ********************************************
>


More information about the EpiData-list mailing list