[EpiData-list] Extending command over multiple lines

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Tue Jul 27 19:37:12 CDT 2010

Is there a way of extending a command in the EpiData Entry CHK file
beyond a single line? In my example below I've got around the problem by
using nested IF... THENs but there may be another way. For instance in
Stata a command can be extended over multiple lines by ending each line
with ///.

admit1mon

  AFTER ENTRY

    IF (admit1mon<>"JAN") AND (admit1mon<>"FEB") AND (admit1mon<>"MAR")
AND (admit1mon<>"APR") AND (admit1mon<>"MAY") AND admit1mon<>"JUN") THEN

      IF (admit1mon<>"JUL") AND (admit1mon<>"AUG") AND
(admit1mon<>"SEP") AND (admit1mon<>"OCT") AND (admit1mon<>"NOV") AND
(admit1mon<>"DEC") THEN

        HELP "Month is a 3 character field, e.g. JAN, FEB, etc"
TYPE=ERROR

        GOTO admit1mon

        CLEAR admit1mon

      ENDIF

    ENDIF

  END

END

Cheers,

Suzanna Vidmar
Senior Research Officer
Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics Unit

Murdoch Childrens Research Institute
Royal Children's Hospital
Flemington Road Parkville Victoria 3052 Australia

telephone: +61 3 9345 6372
facsimile: +61 3 9345 6000
email: suzanna.vidmar at mcri.edu.au
www.mcri.edu.au <http://www.mcri.edu.au/>