[EpiData-list] Design decision for Data Entry Client

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Tue Aug 10 02:26:29 CDT 2010

Hi Jens,
Very well documented. Keep it up.
Nice day

Caleb Ouma

Dataworld Research

P.O Box 1984-00200
NAIROBI
________________________________

Alt. E-mail: caleb at dataworldresearch.net
                  oumacaleb at gmail.com
Skype: calebouma
________________________________

From: "epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca" <epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca>
To: epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Sent: Tue, August 10, 2010 10:16:59 AM
Subject: [EpiData-list] Design decision for Data Entry Client

Development of the stand alone Data Entry Client is progressing and we need to
take some decisions.

In short the revised setup will be such that a project manager person will use
the EpiData Data Manager to define data files, to document file contents etc.
whereas the actual data entry will be done with a dedicated Entry Client, which
can only do entry. On the list it was suggested earlier that it is important
that the entry persons can get a quick overview, e.g. by data lists, spreadsheet
view of the data or a codebook. We will look at this later.

I invite you all to discuss and comment on the following aspects:

a. Show field names on entry form.
    Could be either:
    A1 Be part of the data file definition (sort of built into the datafile)
    A2: Defined via an ini file for the client

    I tend to think that this is part of the project managers decision, and
therefore it should be A1, but I am not sure. Currently this is NOT part of the
data file definition, but part of the ini file for the Manager . .

b. When the Entry Client opens a data file, which record should be shown ?
    b1. The first one
    b2. The last one
    b3. An empty "new" record - ready for entry (as in current EpiData Entry)

    Would depend on the project. I suggest we decide on b2. This shows how far
entry is and the user can then issue a specific action to continue adding (e.g.
ctrl+N).

We can always discuss later if some of this could be controlled by commands or
specifications, but a default must be defined now.

Regards