[EpiData-list] EpiData Notes file

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Mon Aug 16 03:23:21 CDT 2010

Can anyone help with this?

We set up an EpiData database with a notes file <filename>.not. The
notes file appears to have corrupted and has taken the qualitative data
from over 40 surveys with it.  I was wondering if there was any way I
could recover this or if I'll need to re-enter all the data manually
into a word document.

To help work out what/where/if something went wrong with EpiData the
breakdown of events is as follows:

*         First ~45 surveys are entered without issue.

*         From ~survey 45 when the notes file opened up it would not
allow me to type unless I pressed enter a few times and then backspace
(pressing enter once and backspace once would create space for two
characters to be typed).  It was cumbersome but the data was still going
in alright.

*         On closing the notes file whilst entering survey 60 the
computer froze for a moment and EpiData was 'not responding' for about
20-30 seconds and then went back to normal functioning.

*         The next time the notes file was opened the cursor appeared
about halfway through the qualitative data for survey 19 and all data
after there had been wiped.  I opened the notes file in notepad to
confirm this was the case.

Do you know of some recovery technique for this kind of problem?

Thanks,

Suzanna Vidmar
Senior Research Officer
Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics Unit

Murdoch Childrens Research Institute
Royal Children's Hospital
Flemington Road Parkville Victoria 3052 Australia

telephone: +61 3 9345 6372
facsimile: +61 3 9345 6000
email: suzanna.vidmar at mcri.edu.au
www.mcri.edu.au <http://www.mcri.edu.au/>