[EpiData-list] EpiData Notes file

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Mon Aug 16 16:17:33 CDT 2010

  What I would do in that situation is:
0. I would NEVER work on a data entry system and rely on data in one
place or on one computer only.

1. Make sure to have back-up of all files including "corrupt ones".

2. Make a challenge test with the software. E.g. for entry and .not do
as described by Jamie Hockin in a previous mail.

3. If you experience problems after 40 observations, then copy the .not
file to some other location and rename, e.g. notes1-40.not
notes41-79.not etc

4. For finding any backup copy or left over copy of a "pre-corrupt" file
I would search my entire harddisk, including hidden files, for a text
string that I knew was in the "pre-corrupt" file. E.g. parts of your
observation 1 text.  Several software tools will do this e.g. the
crimson editor or total commander.

5. To recover the text from  "pre-corrupt" or "corrupt" .not file I
would use an editor such as "Crimson editor" or "pfe" or similar ascii
oriented file. Then you would almost certainly towards the end of the
file, find the cause of the problem - be that size of the .not file or
some particular control sign.

regards