[EpiData-list] When do we have open source of EpiData?

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Sun Sep 5 16:23:47 CDT 2010

  A good question from  Omar Bautista González regards release of source
code for EpiData software:

The release as open-source is part of the current re-writing strategy.
The release will happen after complete rewriting expected to be
completed in 2011.

The reason for waiting to that time is that we want to have the ability
of changing principles until all of the expected functionality has been
attained. One could argue that by releasing earlier we could get
assistance from a number of open-source programmers. This could be true,
but would also necessitate more coordination work to ensure that the
quality of released parts was sufficiently high. Just small errors
introduced in crucial core parts would render the software useless. I
found during the development until now, that it is crucial for securing
adherence to simplicity, precision and current EpiData principles that
few experienced people are involved.

In other words, have patience and your wish will be fulfilled.

It would be interesting for the development if you and other users
described typical usage and posted these as examples, which could be
included via links from the examples site (www.epidata.dk/examples.php)
or other web site.

regards Jens Lauritsen
EpiData Association