[EpiData-list] (no subject)

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Mon Sep 13 18:59:09 CDT 2010

Hi Niamh,

Are the questions where participants have ticked 2 boxes "tick as many
as apply" type of questions,

e.g. Which health practitioners are involved in managing your diabetes?
(tick as many as apply)
- Endocronoligist
- GP
- Nurse
- Dietician
- Other

For such questions I set up a separate field for each option, then 1 is
entered if the box is ticked and 0 if it's not ticked. If on the other
hand participants are ticking multiple boxes where they should only be
ticking one, what should be entered would be up to the project manager.
The decision needs to be consistent and documented. If the responses are
a likert scale, e.g. strongly agree, agree, neither agree nor disagree,
disagree, strongly disagree, they may chose to take the more
conservative response - or a response in the middle if the 2 boxes
ticked aren't next to each other. There's no easy answer to this. It
depends on the research question the study is designed to answer and
needs to be considered separately for each question on the survey where
this has happened.

Regards,

Suzanna Vidmar
Senior Research Officer
Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics Unit

Murdoch Childrens Research Institute
Royal Children's Hospital
Flemington Road Parkville Victoria 3052 Australia

telephone: +61 3 9345 6372
facsimile: +61 3 9345 6000
email: suzanna.vidmar at mcri.edu.au
www.mcri.edu.au