[EpiData-list] R, EpiInfo and opensource software

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Thu Sep 23 14:28:17 CDT 2010

I like these ideas. Thanks, Pedro Emmanuel. I'm also working with R on
my working stuff, and also on a doctorate programme of Social
Psychology. I started working with R since a Master Degree.

It would be a great idea to develop an interface between EpiData and
R. But right now I'm just exporting the data of EpiData Entry to en
Epi Info old format versions. Then I use the foreign package to upload
the data to R.

I think that the data collected on Epi Info can be used directly with
ODBC package of R.

On other hand, maybe the developer that talked with you is an
interested of Epi Info 7, the newer version of Epi Info. Epi Info 7 is
not stable but is open source, using mono technology.

I don't like Epi Info 7 because of political reasons with mono, who is
the technology base of Epi Info 7. Mono is a platform that plans to
use C# code like (Visual Studio of Microsoft). But the plans of C#
within mono are not clear. For that, maybe a lot of critics of mono
are right  (e.g.
http://www.ubuntumini.com/2009/06/get-your-microsoft-out-of-my-linux.html).

The other reasons that I don't like Epi Info 7 are technical. For
example, mono is a memory hungry technology that makes Epi Info 7 very
slowly and not pleasant for machines with poor hardware resources. A
lot of work that I do are on very poor settings, so the testings of
Epi Info 7 haven't work around them.

Instead of that, EpiData work perfectly on the context were I work. Is
a very optimized and stable software. And, I hope to have a free and
open source code for EpiData on the next year.

A hug from Dominican Republic,