[EpiData-list] R, EpiInfo and opensource software

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Wed Sep 29 15:19:55 CDT 2010

  Dear colleagues

EpiData software I would like to state the following:

The way I see EpiData software playing a role in the coming 10 years is
like this:

a. Ensure full compliance with proper data documentation procedures and
compliance with GCP guide lines (Good Clinical Practice) for medical
studies, where certain requirements are imposed on the data management.
These are explained in the paper: GCP-compliant data management in
multinational clinical trials. ECRIN-2, Deliverable D10, Version 1, 15
September 2008.Ohmann C (chair) and the Transnational Working Group on
Data Management.  I participated in the workgroup. The paper can be
downloaded from: http://www.ecrin.org/index.php?id=274

b. Fulfill data entry needs at the basic level in local levels giving
full control over the process by the persons running projects or routine
systems at that level

c. Perform analysis of quantitative data at the basic and extended
levels within principles of univariate, bivariate levels and further
levels in respect to stratified epidemiological analysis (M-H
techniques), controlled analysis in survival (log rank and k-m plots)  etc.

d. Bridge to other software for extending this analysis to current
expected levels of regression or survival analysis, e.g. repeated
measures models or logistic regression.

e. The software should be easy to use for all users. Beginners as well
as support the needs for advanced usage based on more complex principles.

For point d I think an optimal strategy would be to bridge into R as the
tool. (and to export documented data into commercial software such as
user community supportive products such as Stata). Such that the steep
learning curve for R is bypassed for standard analysis. This also allows
for simplification of the programming for EpiData.

In other words - I see definetely - a path as suggested of a combination
of R and EpiData. If someone have or could prepare a document of
principles of calling batch procedures from other software into R please
let us know on this list. We will need this sometime in spring next
year, when other aspects of this are in place.

regards