[EpiData-list] New test versions available for EpiData EntryClient and EpiData Manager

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Mon Oct 25 17:35:32 CDT 2010

Hi Jens and the Epidata team
thank you for all the work you are doing on the new development.
In terms of the timeline I am wondering about when the new build might be stable enough to be used for training courses?
At the moment I teach one or two courses a year to public health staff on using Epidata and EpiInfo to investigate disease outbreaks. They use the current version of Epidata and I am wondering about when I should try and change to the new version.
thank you
Christine

Christine Roseveare
Analyst
Regional Public Health
570 9194
027 495 9671

>>> <epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca> 22/10/2010 10:47 p.m. >>>
For all users

Today new versions of Entry Client and Manager have been placed on thehttp://epidata.dk/testing.php  page for general download and testing.

Apart from some minor points and errors reported to the Flyspray bug database the current release is what we see as the first release candidate for general usage following key developments mentioned below.

level 1: Basic functionality at field level
level 2: Extended functionality with value labels, basic checks etc

We are at level 1 now and production release will include level 2.

Main news since last release are:
a. bug fixes and enhancements
b. availability of two file formats:
     epx: the basic xml structure containing all information for a given project
     epz:The same file, but zipped, which often reduces the overall size to about 10-30% of the epx file
c. export of data to stata
d. short introduction to the EntryClient

Currently the users should find and test the following:
Manager
a. all aspects of creating new projects with one database table/file per project
   a1. importing (loading) old rec files and stata files
   a2. Pasting from qes files or editor files onto a dataform
   a3. Saving these data as a project file with options for entry
b. exporting data to Stata (regardless of whether you have Stata)

EntryClient
b. data entry of project files created with manager
  b1. Securing that data are saved and shown as read
  b2. Editing and browsing in data
  b3. Backup of files after entry
  b4. Timed recovery function if systems break down during entry

What are the next steps ?
c1. Adaptation of EpiData Analysis to be able to read the xml structured files (epz and epx)
c2. Following users tests in the coming weeks further error removal will be done in EntryClient and Manager
       Please report if possible to the flyspray database system.
               (But also if you cannot get the flyspray system to work let us know on this list)

Kind regards

Torsten Christiansen,

The information contained in this email and
any attachments is confidential and may be
legally privileged. If you have received this
message in error, please notify the sender
immediately and remove all copies of the message,
including any attachments.  Any views or
opinions expressed in this email (unless
otherwise stated) may not represent those of
Hutt Valley DHB.
Thank you.
** Disclaimer added by HVDHB **