[EpiData-list] Datetime conversion resource

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Mon Oct 25 17:49:47 CDT 2010

Hi list members
From time to time on the list we have discussed the value of having a datetime variable in Epidata. This is something I would find like, as the 'epidemic curve' is something that is an important part of any outbreak investigation. For short outbreaks that carry on over more than one day both the time and date are useful so youcan show  numbers becoming ill every 6 hours for example over two or three days. The ability to map by datetime is one reason I often use EpiInfo  for outbreak analysis, although I enter data in Epidata.
I wanted to let any interested members know that a colleague has developed a simple text file that can be run as a programme in EpiINfo that coverts data entered in EPidata to a single datetime for use in EPiInfo. If you have entered an onset date as a date and onset time as a number with a decimal (e.g. 15.30) the programme converts the information into a single datetime variable - it can then be mapped using the EpiInfo histogram graph. Jens if you think this is useful at all would you like me to post this somewhere? Also is there any thought of creating a time field in Epidata?

thanks

Christine

Christine Roseveare
Analyst
Regional Public Health
570 9194
027 495 9671

>>> <epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca> 22/10/2010 10:47 p.m. >>>
For all users

Today new versions of Entry Client and Manager have been placed on thehttp://epidata.dk/testing.php  page for general download and testing.

Apart from some minor points and errors reported to the Flyspray bug database the current release is what we see as the first release candidate for general usage following key developments mentioned below.

level 1: Basic functionality at field level
level 2: Extended functionality with value labels, basic checks etc

We are at level 1 now and production release will include level 2.

Main news since last release are:
a. bug fixes and enhancements
b. availability of two file formats:
     epx: the basic xml structure containing all information for a given project
     epz:The same file, but zipped, which often reduces the overall size to about 10-30% of the epx file
c. export of data to stata
d. short introduction to the EntryClient

Currently the users should find and test the following:
Manager
a. all aspects of creating new projects with one database table/file per project
   a1. importing (loading) old rec files and stata files
   a2. Pasting from qes files or editor files onto a dataform
   a3. Saving these data as a project file with options for entry
b. exporting data to Stata (regardless of whether you have Stata)

EntryClient
b. data entry of project files created with manager
  b1. Securing that data are saved and shown as read
  b2. Editing and browsing in data
  b3. Backup of files after entry
  b4. Timed recovery function if systems break down during entry

What are the next steps ?
c1. Adaptation of EpiData Analysis to be able to read the xml structured files (epz and epx)
c2. Following users tests in the coming weeks further error removal will be done in EntryClient and Manager
       Please report if possible to the flyspray database system.
               (But also if you cannot get the flyspray system to work let us know on this list)

Kind regards

Torsten Christiansen,

The information contained in this email and
any attachments is confidential and may be
legally privileged. If you have received this
message in error, please notify the sender
immediately and remove all copies of the message,
including any attachments.  Any views or
opinions expressed in this email (unless
otherwise stated) may not represent those of
Hutt Valley DHB.
Thank you.
** Disclaimer added by HVDHB **