[EpiData-list] font selection and text appearence in data forms

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Wed Nov 3 19:24:47 CDT 2010

I agree with you Jens - move slowly on this aspect of the software. "Dressing up" the entry form is useful when designing for questionnaires entered directly by subjects, but will have little value for the investigator or data entry personnel. They are just distractions.

XML has very a well-defined schema for defining and using text attributes. I think that long term, the Entry client should have access to a properly-defined style sheet for achieving the styling of headings, titles and whole question/entry for fields. Personally, I would make this somewhat difficult for the novice, beyond providing a candidate style sheet as we have for Analysis. For example, the default style sheet could have defined styles for Title, Heading, Question, entry_num, entry_text, entry_date, etc and leave it at that. Allowing different background colours and borders for sections would be simple to implement, but should still be done via a style sheet or a style section within the project file.

When the Entry client is implemented for web entry, or as an iPad application, a style sheet will be required.

Jamie