[EpiData-list] EpiData manager test

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Fri Jan 14 15:35:10 CST 2011

Thank you for the testing and report here Pascal Thibon. This is the
time when users should not only try out for stability and bugs, but also
comment on user friendliness and "feel" of the software. We do quite a
bit of testing and development before releasing each test version, but
do not have the time to test everything on all operating systems.
Therefore user involvement is a must for quick progress.

Regarding date entry in EpiData Client:
We will make the entry of dates resemble EpiData Entry, but with the
change that the software should accept any sign (-/-) as date separator.
The principle is that the user only has to enter as few digits as
possibly, taking the missing parts from current day, month and year.
Any bugs documented in relation to this will be fixed.

A search function will be implemented.

It has turned out to be "not very easy" to handle moving fields,
sections etc. as also documented in the Mac version earlier. We might
have to do this all over before first public release.

Just these days work is done on copying attributes (labels and range
etc) from one field to other fields or to copy a field or a section to
other places on the form without moving the first one.

Regarding the "value label" editor we have already tried a few different
designs, but it seems we should work more. We wish in principle that
things are intuitive - since it turns out that too much explanation is
needed when we teach if principles are not intuitive. - and that users
tend to abandon software which is not immediately intuitive (or
malfunctional).

Regards