[EpiData-list] Double Entry failed when AutoSearch is enabled, Does this bug fixed?

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Sun Feb 13 07:11:38 CST 2011

On 2011-02-13 08:55, epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca wrote:
> Hi, I have struggled with a problem that:
> When I use the double entry real time verification, I can only do the
> verification on the first record, When I entering a second record, the
> verification is Disabled.
Obviously this was not a pleasant experience for you. But the struggling
tells that you tried various ways - which is always a good thing.
Unfortunately there are not many things in project work and research
which works in a simple way - at least not the first time one tries.

Only for files with a unique identifier that you YOURSELF enter during
the entry - and provided this field have the "Key unique" setup will the
verify during entry work. It is obvious that if there is no unique key -
then the software will have no way of knowing which record from the
first entry to compare with. Your logic of using "autosearch" is fine in
general, but is too complex in the double entry situation.

As such  I do not know of any bugs in relation to double entry and
verification,  but some requirements/limitations (possibly not well
documented) are needed:

A. If you use <idnum> fields in your system then:
      make a copy (copy structure in tools menu) of your system and
INDEPENDENTLY enter data the second time. Following the second entry do
the validation in the documentation menu.
B. If you use a combined key for your "unique identifier":
     e.g. mykey = idnum+var1+var2
            or mykey = string(idnum) + string(var1) + string(var2)
    then do as in point A
C. If you are using a related file system
     then do as in point A
D.  based on your experience we can add : If using autosearch
       then do as in point A

Possibly someone (list members please) have the time to create an
example setup file which we can put in the examples collection for
others to download. This could be basicly the same system created with
autosearch (in one file), and without that in a separate file, but aside
from that similar contents.

Let us know if this helps

Regards