[EpiData-list] Query about Epidata and Exporting to SPSS

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Thu Feb 24 11:15:49 CST 2011

A highly "conflict of interest" based suggestion could be to say this:

a. Try to analyze your data with EpiData Analysis - freely available
from the download page, where you found EpiData Entry
b. Export your data to SPSS
     Repeat the analysis in SPSS
c. Tell os of your experience - such that we can learn about the
advantage and disadvantage of using a commercial package and EpiData
Analysis. Also remember to tell us about the cost for the license of SPSS.

The reasoning of my suggestion is that there are so many "firm fixed"
suggestions of what is the easiest way of doing this or that - but very
few actual comparisons in terms of time to use, reproducibility, cost of
software, cost of personnel time ....

Personally I used SPSS from about 1979 to 1995, but switched to Stata
due to the large user base in research developing modules for Stata and
lack of hierarchical/cluster analysis in SPSS, plus the problems of the
special SPSS output files which can only be used when you have spss
installed.. In recent years I have used EpiData Analysis for daily
analysis and Stata for regression and larger data sets.

The basic principles are the same:
a. Develop proper protocols for research studies. Only collect the
minimal dataset needed.
b  Quality assure your data by proper handling during entry or
datamanagement, including the addition of labels and creation of
sufficient datadocumentation.
c.  Analyse data by a pre-specified analysis plan - either specifically
or a general outline. Save your analysis in the form of a structured
command file (pgm or syntax, in Stata called do files).

regards