[EpiData-list] Query about Epidata and Exporting to SPSS

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Thu Feb 24 12:33:18 CST 2011

Dear Niamh:

I started with SAS in 1985, then went to SYSTAT, then briefly to SPSS,
but unfortunately never learned STATA, but this is what I learned over
the past ten years: I have no need whatsoever for any of the proprietary
analysis packages at the low level of my sophistication.  Whenever I
felt is was the fad of the day to do some fancy logistic regression, I
always got hung up in the end that the dataset was so full of
heterogeneity that made it entirely inappropriate, and that doing more
sophisticated stuff ended up in an incomprehensible black box that
nobody could check.  Since EpiData Analysis became available, I have
used only that and we have managed to publish papers with intermediate
sophistication (like stratified survival analysis and the like) in high
impact journals (IF>10) and it was always transparent to everybody what
we did.

As for the process itself, whether you use any of the proprietary
software packages or not, everybody needs a quality-assured dataset, and
none of the proprietary software packages offers that, they are for
analysis, not for data capture.  Indeed, as Jens could further
elaborate, the initial intent for the development of EpiData software
was precisely to have software that would offer the possibility of
obtaining validated, quality-assured data commensurate with good
clinical practice, then have good export functions, so that one would
have a format that would be readable for import into the analysis of
choice software, and that is precisely what EpiData Entry does better
than any other software, and above all it is free.  We then asked the
EpiData Association to please develop an Analysis module as well that
would cover more than 90% of the needs of researchers (but would abstain
from offering complex regression analysis) because the sorry state of
affairs was that researchers from low-income countries would get their
Master's of PhD degree in some industrialized country, were taught there
to use SPSS, SAS, or STATA - and and some universities I know of - even
all of them.  Then they would return back home, the student-loaned
software license would expire, and they had no other avenue left than
pirating a copy of the only thing they knew.  Now, forcing students to
ultimately steal software cannot possibly be the solution to the
problem.  What I have seen in my career as a teacher is that the vast
majority of students who play around with outrageously expensive
proprietary software are actually doing stuff at a very, very low level
of sophistication, and I ask myself what for one needs a
one-thousand-dollar package to do a stratified analysis if one can do
that with user-friendly, entirely transparent and most importantly free
EpiData Analysis?

Apologies for the lengthy advertisement for EpiData software.

Good luck with your research,

Hans

--
Hans L Rieder, MD, MPH