[EpiData-list] fill fields from COMMENT LEGAL file

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Wed Jun 1 07:11:31 CDT 2011

The field atransfer is defined in A3.QES. The flow of data in the A3 - B3 example is:

Enter data in B3.rec
B3.chk takes 3 variables (age, sex, dob) and formats them into variable tvar as age:sex:dob

Enter data into A3.rec
A3.chk treats tvar (in B3.rec) as the comment value that goes with the variable ID and saves that in variable atransfer
Take apart atransfer by checking where the colons are

You applications sounds more like the example in the help file for check commands, but your situation may be too complex for this to work well.
Examples of comment legal in IF..THEN structures
V1
{User selects a country}
  COMMENT LEGAL
    1 USA
    2 CANADA
  END
END.
V2
{User selects a state}
END
IF V1=1 THEN
  COMMENT LEGAL
    1 Alabama
    2 ”New York”
    3 Nevada
    4 Oklahoma
END
ENDIF
IF V1=2 THEN
  COMMENT LEGAL
    1 ”Nova Scotia”
    2 Quebec
  END
ENDIF
END

I do not think there is any other way for you to filter a list (the list of all village names) based on the entered value of another variable (the district).

However, if what gets entered is the CHW name and you want to automatically fill in District and Village that match, then the copydata example will work.

Jamie