[EpiData-list] release candidate of Manager - when to do so ?

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Fri Jun 10 18:11:30 CDT 2011

Thanks for the responds, Jens and Hans!

- I do agree that a stable release can be benefit from the bug reports
of a wider public.
- I do agree, also, that most projects can handle the implementations
done in the current test version.
- I do agree with the strategy that propose Jens.

But maybe a release version with fewer implementations than the
current stable can lead to some misunderstandings with some users. For
example, maybe a user that is not informed with this wonderful list
can think that "the new product of EpiData is a lower level of the old
one".

I Anyway, this can be informed on the download web page, to avoid this
probably confusion. And also maintaining the old version to download.
Maybe with a table indicating the implementations that the new version
have and by other hand with the future challenges that are already
implemented with the old version can illustrate this easily. Something
like this:

Old version       New version
One database   One datatabase
Multi-database      Not yet
And so on...

Regards,

2011/6/8  <epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca>:
> I think the release of a simple core version before all planned features are
> implemented is a good idea, because:
>
> 1) It has a fruitful and inspiring precedent in the current EpiData Analysis
> which allowed with an early release a large user base to test, provide
> input, and revision for subsequent enhancements
> 2) Not to release until all possible features are implemented would mean to
> restrict testing to a very small user base and thus perhaps missing key
> problems in the core functionality
> 3) Relatively early release will demonstrate to a wider public the progress
> being made and allow establishing through user-feedback the core
> functionality
> 4) Early release will, in addition to already planned enhancements, enable
> input coordination for future development
>
> Hans
>
> On 20:59, epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca wrote:
>>
>> Good point by Omar to discuss "when to release as v1" of the new software.
>
> --
> Hans L Rieder, MD, MPH
> Jetzikofenstr 12
> 3038 Kirchlindach
>  Switzerland
>
> Tel: +41 31 829 4577
> Mob: +41 79 321 9122
> Web: http://www.tbrieder.org

Omar Bautista González
- Colaborador en autogestión comunitaria desde República Dominicana