[EpiData-list] EpiData data entry competitors. Where are they?

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Tue Jul 5 15:54:20 CDT 2011

Dear all

It is fine with me to discuss alternatives to EpiData Entry etc. on the
list her, but before we get too many suggestions I would like to ask
those replying to declare which interests (money wise or otherwise) they
have on the software they describe.

My only filter is that I suggest to only discuss open-source and or
free-ware alternatives.

It makes little sense to compare commercial software with large staff
for development with alternatives such as EpiData financed on whatever
funding can be attracted and is on a small scale.

Someone might disagree with this, but then discuss functionality in a
general way. What we need as professionals is functionality suitable to
the needs, we do not need large license fees, patents etc. Just try to
open adobe reader for pdf files and see the number of patents shown.

The best option is if someone writes a proper research article in which
the softwares are compared in relation to many aspects such as:
a. stability
b. number and relevance of options
c. availability in price and delivery
d. speed
e. time to install and get to work
f. time and possibility to recreate a "broken" database
g. the demands in terms of manpower and skills of database people to run
the system
h. which formal types of data can be securely managed - e.g. sensitive
health data
i. format and degree of openness of the data file format
...... add to the list....

Regards

- obvious interest in software types