[EpiData-list] How to Delete Records Based on a Variable

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Mon Jul 25 02:50:20 CDT 2011


Hello,


I would like to add an alternative way of deleting records in Epidata entry if
you just want to delete certain number of records.

When you move to the record you want to delete in the database, there is a
“X” sign in red at the left bottom of the screen beside the area showing the
number of records, navigation buttons and the button for new record entry “*”
. If the red “X” button is hit, “DEL” will show up right beside. Save the
record. Apply this “DEL” to the records you would like to delete in the
database.

Next step is to PACK the data file. To do this, close the data entry form
and go to ‘ Tools > Pack data file ‘ and select the data file which contains
the records you would like to delete. This will delete the  records marked
as “DEL” permanently. At the same time, filename.old.rec will be created if
you would like to undo the deleting.

Marking the records “DEL” does not permanently delete the records until you
PACK the data file.


Hope this help.


Zaw

Myanmar



On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 11:30 PM,
<epidata-list-request at lists.umanitoba.ca>wrote:

> Send EpiData-list mailing list submissions to
>        epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>        http://lists.umanitoba.ca/mailman/listinfo/epidata-list
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>        epidata-list-request at lists.umanitoba.ca
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>        epidata-list-owner at lists.umanitoba.ca
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of EpiData-list digest..."
>
>
> EpiData-list mailing list
> ___________________________________
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>   1. How to Delete Records Based on a Variable
>      (epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca)
>   2. Re: How to Delete Records Based on a Variable
>      (epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca)
>   3. Re: How to Delete Records Based on a Variable
>      (epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 18:49:20 -0500
> From: epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
> Subject: [EpiData-list] How to Delete Records Based on a Variable
> To: <epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca>
> Message-ID:
>        <679902537E215D43805DEA9BE833090E06C213D5 at NORCEX1.norc.org>
> Content-Type: text/plain;       charset="us-ascii"
>
> Hello,
>
>
>
> I am trying to delete a subset of records in my dataset based on the
> value of one of the variables (hhid) in either EpiData Entry or
> Analysis.  I am guessing it is easy, but I cannot figure it out.  Can
> someone please advise?
>
>
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sam
>
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 21:20:08 -0400
> From: epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
> Subject: Re: [EpiData-list] How to Delete Records Based on a Variable
> To: epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
> Message-ID: <BLU0-SMTP18F9651A4055C04D6E8A53FD310 at phx.gbl>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> It's quite easy
>
> In Analysis:
>
> select hhid <> [value for delete]
> savedata newfile
>
> You can then copy your old file as a backup and rename "newfile.rec" if you
> want.
>
> In EpiData Entry:
>
> -export data to EpiData
> Choose your current data (.rec)
> Make sure all variables are checked
> Check off "Use record filter"
> In the Filter box: hhid <> [value for delete]
>
> You can put a more complex logical expression in the filter.
> Your new data are in filename.new.rec
>
> Jamie
>
> On 2011-07-22, Sam wrote:
>
> > I am trying to delete a subset of records in my dataset based on the
> > value of one of the variables (hhid) in either EpiData Entry or
> > Analysis.  I am guessing it is easy, but I cannot figure it out.  Can
> > someone please advise?
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 21:22:17 -0400
> From: epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
> Subject: Re: [EpiData-list] How to Delete Records Based on a Variable
> To: <epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca>
> Message-ID: <0bf801cc48d6$f2ee5c62$ae9510ac at norc.org>
> Content-Type: text/plain;       charset="utf-8"
>
> Perfect, thank you!
>
> "epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca" <epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca> wrote:
>
> It's quite easy
>
> In Analysis:
>
> select hhid <> [value for delete]
> savedata newfile
>
> You can then copy your old file as a backup and rename "newfile.rec" if you
> want.
>
> In EpiData Entry:
>
> -export data to EpiData
> Choose your current data (.rec)
> Make sure all variables are checked
> Check off "Use record filter"
> In the Filter box: hhid <> [value for delete]
>
> You can put a more complex logical expression in the filter.
> Your new data are in filename.new.rec
>
> Jamie
>
> On 2011-07-22, Sam wrote:
>
> > I am trying to delete a subset of records in my dataset based on the
> > value of one of the variables (hhid) in either EpiData Entry or
> > Analysis.  I am guessing it is easy, but I cannot figure it out.  Can
> > someone please advise?
>
> _______________________________________________
> EpiData-list mailing list
> EpiData-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
> http://lists.umanitoba.ca/mailman/listinfo/epidata-list
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> ________________________________________
> EpiData-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
> http://lists.umanitoba.ca/mailman/listinfo/epidata-list
>
>
> End of EpiData-list Digest, Vol 93, Issue 13
> ********************************************
>


More information about the EpiData-list mailing list