[EpiData-list] Excel data upload into EpiData

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Fri Aug 12 13:49:27 CDT 2011

The easiest way to do this is in Analysis.

First, in Excel:
	At the top of each column of data, you need to have a valid EpiData field name.
	Format each Excel column to match the data:

		Numeric (with number of decimals)
		Text
		Date (format doesn't matter, but make them all the same)

	Select and copy column headings (field names) and all data.

Then in Analysis,

	read /cb
	define idnum #####
	idnum = recnumber  // if you want IDNUM=record number
	savedata xyz

If your data are clean, your data are now in EpiData.

Caution: if you use the test version of Analysis (the one that can read .epx files), you will also se xyz.chk. DELETE IT! It has errors. No problem with the current working version of Analysis.

With EpiData, create a QES from your REC file.
Edit the QES to match the layout you want (e.g. may IDNUM comes first instead of last).
Save the QES and open the REC for input. Say yes to reformat the file.

There you go. I find this easier that trying to export from Excel as CSV file and importing.

Jamie