[EpiData-list] key unique code not working fully

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Wed Aug 17 21:27:44 CDT 2011

I have a database with 2 unique keys: stickno and randid. The CHK file
contains the following code for these fields:

stickno

  KEY UNIQUE 1

  RANGE 1 500

  MUSTENTER

END

randid

  KEY UNIQUE 2

  RANGE 100 1699

  MUSTENTER

  AFTER ENTRY

    IF (randid>899) and (randid<1300) THEN

      HELP "randid must be 100-899 or 1300-1699" TYPE=WARNING

    ENDIF

  END

END

Despite the KEY UNIQUE commands, I found 2 records with stickno=290 and
randid==227. I believe KEY UNIQUE was present in the CHK file prior to
beginning data entry, but even if not, when attempting to open the REC
file I should receive a warning alerting me to the duplicates. This
doesn't happen when I keep the EIX file in the same directory as the
database. After deleting the EIX file from the directory, when
attempting to open the REC file I do get a warning alerting me to the
duplicates. What information does the EIX file store? I've attached it
in case you're able to determine where the error lies. I haven't
attached the database because it contains data on real patients and I
can't edit it without changing the EIX file.

Any insights would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Suzanna Vidmar
Senior Research Officer
Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics Unit

Murdoch Childrens Research Institute
Royal Children's Hospital
Flemington Road Parkville Victoria 3052 Australia

telephone: +61 3 9345 6372
facsimile: +61 3 9345 6000
email: suzanna.vidmar at mcri.edu.au
www.mcri.edu.au <http://www.mcri.edu.au/>