[EpiData-list] export to stata and view enteries

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Thu Jan 19 17:18:25 CST 2012

Hi Lars,

I've had the same issue when exporting value labels to Stata. When you
"browse" or "list" in Stata, the number of letters displayed is limited
to the length of the field. However, you should be able to see the
entire label (unless it's very long) when you use the "tabulate"
command.

When you use the "describe" command you'll find that the display format
of your gender variable is 2 characters, e.g. %2.0f. You need to
increase the length of your display format. I've written a very short
ado file to do this (attached) for all variables in your data set that
have a value label attached. For each variable it ascertains the length
of your longest label, e.g. for gender labelled "male" and "female" it
is 6. It then changes the display format so that up to 6 characters are
displayed.

The syntax is:
diformat var1 var2
where var1 is the first variable in the dataset and var2 is the last.

Cheers,

Suzanna Vidmar
Senior Research Officer
Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics Unit

Murdoch Childrens Research Institute
Royal Children's Hospital
Flemington Road Parkville Victoria 3052 Australia

telephone: +61 3 9345 6372
facsimile: +61 3 9345 6000
email: suzanna.vidmar at mcri.edu.au
www.mcri.edu.au