[EpiData-list] Skip and fill

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Tue May 29 22:54:26 CDT 2012

Dear Aiso,

I haven't familiarised myself with the latest version of EpiData Manager
yet, but may have a solution to your problem using EpiData Entry (see
attached database). In the CHK file you'll see that I hide and unhide
the v17 and v18 fields depending on the value entered into the v16
fields. By hiding a field you are effectively skipping it during the
entry process and the order in which the fields appear is irrelevant -
provided hidden fields are after the "controlling" field. In my example
I've used -1 as the code for missing. When I set up databases I use a
value (such as -1) that is not a legitimate value for any of my fields.
In Stata I then convert -1 to a Stata missing value.

v16a
  AFTER ENTRY
    IF v16a=0 THEN
      LET v17a=-1
      LET v18a=-1
      HIDE v17a
      HIDE v18a
    ENDIF
    IF v16a<>0 THEN
      LET v17a=.
      LET v18a=.
      UNHIDE v17a
      UNHIDE v18a
    ENDIF
  END
END

Cheers,

Suzanna Vidmar
Senior Research Officer
Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics Unit

Murdoch Childrens Research Institute
Royal Children's Hospital
Flemington Road Parkville Victoria 3052 Australia

telephone: +61 3 9345 6372
facsimile: +61 3 9345 6000
email: suzanna.vidmar at mcri.edu.au
www.mcri.edu.au