[EpiData-list] corrupted files

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Tue Aug 7 15:04:46 CDT 2012

Nicole:

Worth a try:

1) Make a copy of both REC files
2) Save a subset of each REC file containing only the data structure
(cut off before the first record)
3) Use a proper text editor (surely not NotePad...) that allows
comparison of the two files and indicates where a discordance is (if
there is any)
4) If there is a discordance, paste the file from 3) that originates
from the functional original over the appropriate place in the
non-functional one
5) Try to open the "repaired' REC file

1) If the problem is not in the structure, then it must be in an
individual record
2) If that should be the case, it gets tedious.  One would start by
checking if the record ending exclamation ! is everywhere available

If all fails, send me an email.  As I am "around the corner" (well
sufficiently in the vicinity), I could pass by at your office and we
could look at it together.

Hans

--
Hans L Rieder, MD, MPH