[EpiData-list] Problem extracting from rec file

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Mon Sep 17 12:09:21 CDT 2012

It is true that Epiinfo 6 would read a .rec with some errors, the type of error you describe will probably prevent you from getting the data you want out of the .rec file.

This problem usually arises because a file has been edited and some record lengths changed or from the introduction of some random characters with a disk error. I have always been able to reconstruct .rec files using a plain text editor like the old Windows Notepad. Even better is a programmer's editor (there are many) that can identify the end of each line in case you have a line with more than 80 characters in the data section (e.g. some spaces beyond the !).

Jamie