[EpiData-list] Epidata and Electronic medical records

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Thu Oct 25 09:00:33 CDT 2012

Dear EpiData Friends,

Since 2004 the institution I work at, adopted electronic medical record.
For me and colleagues which work with clinical research, we have for long
working doubling our efforts in registering the required information, at
the medical chart and at data entry.

Currently most of us work like this:

1.Patient evaluation
2.typing research information at electronic medical records
3.retrieving information from the computer and writing into paper CRF
4.typing the CRF data from paper into computer data entry again.

This routine complies with GCP as we consider the electronic medical record
the source document. For long we have talked about more automatic and
less laborious, and less prompt to error routine.
Here one must understand that the medical appointment occurs in a room
where a computer is available.
We would like that this process to be something like:

1. Patient evaluation
2. The physician type in the information of that visit into a data entry
during patient evaluation
3. This data entry is able to transport this data as a text to be pasted at
the text entry of the electronic mdical record
4. The physician is able to edit the electronic medical record for
aditional information.

The main points here is: there is less work in filling forms and records;
and there will be less steps in data traveling where mistakes could be
inserted by researchers or typing team; and would keep the medical record
as source document.

Currently Im not awere of any software able to do some exporting in text
from the data entry that could allow the process change.

If EpiData was up to do something like this, after data entry of a
particular record, there would a magic button somewhere able to copy to
clipboard the text (like in notepad) with all variables labels and value
labels or variable values. After that the user would use Ctrl+V to paste it
at the medical record.

Does anyone have similar problem? Which solutions have you implemented?

Kind regards,

Dr. Pedro Emmanuel A. A. do Brasil
Curriculum Lattes:  http://lattes.cnpq.br/6597654894290806
Instituto de Pesquisa Clínica Evandro Chagas
Fundação Oswaldo Cruz
Rio de Janeiro - Brasil
Av. Brasil 4365,
CEP 21040-360,