[EpiData-list] Epidata Manager / Calculate

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Sat Jan 26 10:18:17 CST 2013

Hello Bernard

I am sure we will get the new software to work appropriately and your
comment and observation is very welcomed.

Obviously we need to be open to criticism, but also to take appropriate
decisions during the development. And until now there has been so many
other aspects to take care of that the implementation of a chk command
language has not been possible.

The specific question you have in relation to age at birth can be solved
like this:

a. add the variables/fields (dates) to  be included in the calculation
       e.g. :
       two date fields: dbirth "date of birth mother", dchild "Date of
giving birth to the child"
       one integer: age
b. now move the cursor to the field where you would like to have the
calculation done. Here:  dchild
      (this would be the same as where you in the old software would put
the "AFTER ENTRY ....END" block

d You then specify the calculation under properties for that field.
    d1 Specify result as "age" field and base the calculation on: dchild
- dbirth
    d2 Specify "return value" as "years"

     Since we are not using time fields for age here, just omit
specification of these.

If you can give more examples of your reasons for "not suggesting to use
the new versions" please let us know.

regards

Jens Lauritsen