[EpiData-list] Error Epidata Analysis

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Fri May 3 16:29:45 CDT 2013

The trick with Excel is to make sure that each column of data should be formatted the same. If you have special characters or quotes in a string, this may cause problems. It may also be problematic to have commas in string fields.

What I do is this.

1. The first row has legal Epidata field names
2. Add a column at the end that has any field name and 1 in each cell
3. If you have missing data in the first row, add a row of dummy data just below the field names and make each cell look exactly like your data should.
4. Copy the entire data table, including field names

In Analysis:

read /cb
save datafile

The read command will complain about the FIRST bad data element it finds. I use this as a cue to fix that cell and any others that may be like it.

Then you can drop dummy data and save the .rec again.

Jamie