[EpiData-list] Re: EpiData-list Digest, Vol 115, Issue 9

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Wed May 29 13:51:49 CDT 2013


Hi Nathalie,
I think you should not wait for that. Anyway you will need to enter the data completely the second time.

Vladimir Prikazsky

On 29 May 2013, at 19:47, epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca wrote:

> Thank you! When can I expect to be able to compare values in second file
> with what was already entered in the first file directly at entry? Is there
> an older version that allows this?
> 
> Best,
> Natalie
> 
> 
> On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 10:00 AM,
> <epidata-list-request at lists.umanitoba.ca>wrote:
> 
>> Send EpiData-list mailing list submissions to
>>        epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
>> 
>> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>>        http://lists.umanitoba.ca/mailman/listinfo/epidata-list
>> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>>        epidata-list-request at lists.umanitoba.ca
>> 
>> You can reach the person managing the list at
>>        epidata-list-owner at lists.umanitoba.ca
>> 
>> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
>> than "Re: Contents of EpiData-list digest..."
>> 
>> 
>> EpiData-list mailing list
>> ___________________________________
>> 
>> Today's Topics:
>> 
>>   1. Issue with double entry verification
>>      (epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca)
>>   2. Re: Issue with double entry verification
>>      (epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca)
>>   3. Aspects of function in updated public release of  Manager and
>>      EntryClient (epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca)
>> 
>> 
>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>> 
>> Message: 1
>> Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 20:47:44 -0700
>> From: epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
>> Subject: [EpiData-list] Issue with double entry verification
>> To: epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
>> Message-ID:
>>        <
>> CAON-6PbqL-Rb_x3Nd2tBhf-hrP1v7T6c8Ju8RBKXrWR8wEmMdw at mail.gmail.com>
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
>> 
>> Hello,
>> 
>> I am having an issue with double entry verification. I am using v1.4 on a
>> 64 bit Windows 7 PC. I am able to create a double file, but I am missing
>> any options like the manual indicates:
>> 
>> *"*Options can be changed now: choose if textfields are to be ignore during
>> double entry (only data in numeric fields will be compared with original
>> data).
>> 
>> Choose if records are to be compare by recordnumber or by a keyfield. If
>> the option "Match records by field" is unchecked, then records are compared
>> by recordnumber. If the option is checked, the user will be asked to point
>> out which data field should act as the keyfield. The keyfield must contain
>> unique data, i.e. a ID-number.
>> 
>> Click OK and read the message stating that double entry varification is now
>> prepared."
>> 
>> It simply only creates the double data file. I am also not able to get into
>> any sort of double entry mode in the epidata entry program.
>> 
>> Is this a bug or am I not using it correctly? Thanks very much.
>> 
>> --
>> Natalie Sadler
>> Doctoral Student
>> Human Development Graduate Group
>> University of California, Davis
>> nsadler at ucdavis.edu
>> natalie.sadler at gmail.com
>> 
>> 
>> ------------------------------
>> 
>> Message: 2
>> Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 09:12:41 +0200
>> From: epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
>> Subject: Re: [EpiData-list] Issue with double entry verification
>> To: epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
>> Message-ID: <51A5AA69.1050200 at epidata.dk>
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
>> 
>> Hi.
>> 
>> The double entry verification is a two-step process, which works
>> by first creating a duplicate of the the original project, but without
>> data. This is done with the "Prepare Double Entry"feature.
>> 
>> Then you re-enter data into the second file, often namedlike
>> <filename>.double.epx.
>> 
>> The last step is using the documentation feature "Validate
>> Duplicate Files" to compare the two files. It is within this feature
>> that you find your requested options, such as:
>> comparing using key fields, ignore text fields, etc.
>> 
>> I hope this helps.
>> 
>> Regards,
>> Torsten Bonde Christiansen.
>> EpiData Association.
>> 
>> On 2013-05-29 05:47, epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> 
>>> I am having an issue with double entry verification. I am using v1.4 on a
>>> 64 bit Windows 7 PC. I am able to create a double file, but I am missing
>>> any options like the manual indicates:
>>> 
>>> *"*Options can be changed now: choose if textfields are to be ignore
>> during
>>> double entry (only data in numeric fields will be compared with original
>>> data).
>>> 
>>> Choose if records are to be compare by recordnumber or by a keyfield. If
>>> the option "Match records by field" is unchecked, then records are
>> compared
>>> by recordnumber. If the option is checked, the user will be asked to
>> point
>>> out which data field should act as the keyfield. The keyfield must
>> contain
>>> unique data, i.e. a ID-number.
>>> 
>>> Click OK and read the message stating that double entry varification is
>> now
>>> prepared."
>>> 
>>> It simply only creates the double data file. I am also not able to get
>> into
>>> any sort of double entry mode in the epidata entry program.
>>> 
>>> Is this a bug or am I not using it correctly? Thanks very much.
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> ------------------------------
>> 
>> Message: 3
>> Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 09:55:54 +0200
>> From: epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
>> Subject: [EpiData-list] Aspects of function in updated public release
>>        of      Manager and EntryClient
>> To: epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
>> Message-ID: <51A5B48A.6070202 at epidata.dk>
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
>> 
>> Regarding the new versions 1.4 of Manager and EntryClient.
>> 
>> Many changes have been implemented since first public release last year:
>> 
>> Common:
>> * Encrypted data in project files
>> * Expanded headings to support 5 sizes/types.
>> * Added printing of dataform
>> * Key Fields (Unique keys) - including display of status of key at
>> record level
>> 
>> Entry:
>> * Implemented a "Copy Record to Clipboard" function, with variable
>> format string.
>> 
>> Manager:
>> * New improved drag/drop implementation (multiselect, copy/paste,
>> alignment)
>> * Double Entry Preparation/Validation
>> * Improved Study Information form.
>> * New improved export form, with more export formats. (SPSS, SAS, CSV,
>> DTA, DDI)
>> * Expanded process toolbar
>> 
>> Obviously this is a remarked update and despite efforts to find and fix
>> problems in the testing uploads some issues have arisen in latest days:
>> 
>> 1 Double entry
>> a
>> In EpiData Entry (old software):
>> - two different double entry modes are implemented:
>> 1. Compare values in second file with what was already entered in first
>> file directly at entry
>> 2. Compare two individually entered files
>> 
>> In EpiData Manager (New software):
>> - Only type two is implemented at this point.  Therefore you must (as
>> explained by T.Christiansen just before this mail) first enter data in
>> one file, then independently in the second. Following that compare the two.
>> 
>> b
>>   Validation has been extended with a new option such that a new field
>> can be added at record level (each observation) with the result of the
>> validation. When this field is added it makes sense to write a new file,
>> e.g. bromar.1.doubleentry-verification.epx. You can then read that file
>> into analysis and see which records are not validated. The values for
>> the created variable are:
>> 0 = Validated
>> 1 = Record does not exist in duplicate file
>> 2 = Failed due to different text
>> 3 = Failed due to different values
>> 4 = Duplicate key exists
>> 
>> But currently in v1.4.0.0  the file is always created following
>> validation, and there can be a problem with the creation. This will be
>> changed, such that only when the user indicates addition of the field
>> the new file will be written and obviously also with the correct value.
>> 
>> 2
>>  Aspects in relation to export:
>>    a. Export to SPSS or SAS:  the user is not informed of writing the
>> csv file
>>    b. Export to DDI: the created xml is not correct in certain situations.
>> 
>>   Exported DDI meta data must validate correctly against the
>> DDI-Alliance standard v3.1. - with an external tool such as documented
>> on http://www.ddialliance.org/node/855 - The validator is found on
>> http://snd.gu.se/ddi/validator
>> 
>> 3
>> A few other aspects, such as default naming of valuelabel sets, term for
>> dataforms in reports and missing mentioning of cycle number
>> 
>> The problems mentioned (1b, 2 and 3) will be fixed and a new public
>> update will be available later this week.
>> 
>> Regarding cycle number this is a new feature which the end user is not
>> changing. Every time the project file is saved and there has been a
>> change in either study information, structure or value label sets
>> (metadata) or entered/edited observations/records the file will be saved
>> with a new "cycle number". On export this is part of the name of the
>> file. e.g. /home/jens/data/bromar_new.5.dta
>> 
>> We will gradually implement usage of the cycle number in documentation
>> and verification of data in relation to in particular the implementation
>> of Good Clinical Practice guideline demands of verification. The notion
>> of a cycle comes from the DDI-alliance data-life cycle concept. You can
>> read more about that on: http://www.ddialliance.org/ddi-at-work
>> 
>> regards
>> Jens Lauritsen
>> Epidata Association
>> 
>> 
>> ------------------------------
>> 
>> ________________________________________
>> EpiData-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
>> http://lists.umanitoba.ca/mailman/listinfo/epidata-list
>> 
>> 
>> End of EpiData-list Digest, Vol 115, Issue 9
>> ********************************************
> 
> 
> 
> -- 
> Natalie Sadler
> Doctoral Student
> Human Development Graduate Group
> University of California, Davis
> nsadler at ucdavis.edu
> natalie.sadler at gmail.com
> _______________________________________________
> EpiData-list mailing list
> EpiData-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
> http://lists.umanitoba.ca/mailman/listinfo/epidata-list


More information about the EpiData-list mailing list