SV: Re: [EpiData-list] PS to: Experimental Manager and Entry Client version with before/after entry scripts available

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Sat Jul 6 13:32:05 CDT 2013

Dear Jean-Marie.

We have deliberately chosen to make the programs behave the way it does, concerning the mouse.

The reason behind this, is that in most scenarios a user creates a database, based on a questionnaire. This questionnaire has a well defined flow (usually top-left to bottom-right), perhaps with some diversion, eg. skipping some fields if it makes no sense to enter based on previous values.

This flow is the same we wish to keep in Manager and EntryClient. And if a user the have to use the mouse, this is typically because an error has been made. Hence the use needs to exit the current field, without any validation is done and script is run.
This was actually a flaw in the old EpiData Entry program, where the flow was not well defined. That is, if a user clicked with the mouse the behaviour could lead to an error or even worse some undefined state.

Kind regards,
Torsten Bonde Christiansen.
EpiData Association.

Sendt fra min Xperia™-tablet-pc