[EpiData-list] Field Length Issue

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Tue Jul 16 20:25:26 CDT 2013

Hello,

I am currently working to try to import data into SPSS. I created the .dat
file with StatTransfer from the Stata-formatted file. Looking at the .sps
file, it appears that one of my variables which should be 70 characters
(and is specified as such in the EpiData Manager) contains only 1 character.

I noticed this issue while rewriting the syntax to pull the data into SPSS.
Our variables are embedded within the string variables (e.g., EPIVAR = 56
-> VAR1 = 5 VAR2 = 6).

We used spaces as missing data. Could it be an issue with missing data? It
shouldn't be, if the field is specified as 70 characters!

How can this be? It is making me very anxious.