[EpiData-list] Field Length Issue

epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca epidata-list at lists.umanitoba.ca
Wed Jul 17 15:25:52 CDT 2013

I am familiar with Stat/Transfer.  It tends to truncate variables to the longest length of data filled into the field - at least that has been my experience when using it to convert EpiData files to SAS.  So if you have missing data for that field in every row in your data, it will truncate it to a length of 1, even if you've specified the field as having a length of 70.  You could confirm whether this is the problem by filling up the variable in one of the rows in Stata, re-converting it using Stat/Transfer and then seeing if the length has changed.

Katie